Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Akita. Can be really hard headed, but once they realize you're more hard headed they never try you again but you got to get ahold of their mind. No bark, very trainable, aggressive (not very good with other dogs, animals, or strangers - a note to this is the CA show dogs have a lot of their aggression bred out of them). Be prepared for hair, lots of hair. Best dog you'll ever be partners with. My one boy, if someone he didn't know walked in the house without me they'd never hear a bark and he would land a paw on each of their shoulders and look down on them with a head 1/2 again as big as a humans. He was a really big boy, I quit weighing him at 165 lbs. He was also funny about letting people enter the yard but wouldn't let them out. I think he had a sense of humor.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Originally Posted by smokinggun
American Akita. We have one, it's our third Akita and the breed makes a great pet and a natural guard dog. They are known as the most loyal breed. They only bark when there is a really good reason, ours almost never barks. The Akita was originally bred to hunt big game, but the Japanese realized they are much better suited to home duties like watching the children. The breed is not for everyone and should be researched before owning.

Just saw this, bears, they were originally bred to hunt bears but like to hunt anything. Bred from the great chow, shibu, and a spitz (?). Then they fought them. Even today Japan Dog shows they face them off and the first one to look away loses. Had my first Akita, a Japanese Akita, in 75, had one ever since except for the last 4 years.

The most "cat like" dog breed. They are very strong willed. They will not do well stuck in the back yard, they need to be part of the family. Mine is the third one I have trained to stay in the yard on our un-fenced property. Ours is small thank goodness at 67 lbs and still playful like a puppy at almost 3 years old. Richard, they sure can stare, like keep an eye on the neighbors etc. Tripp: [Linked Image]