The lines I've used have been 27 meters or 30 yards depending on time and brand, so 90 feet roughly.

I have not tried spey. With a conventional rod, 9-1/2 foot, 9 weight, with a WF 10 sink / HD sink tip line, I used to throw up to about 115 feet. That was not the intent for that rod, just happened to work out. It was bought for winter steelhead fishing but it turned out to be more useful for late summer / early fall evenings where the canyon we fished turned into a wind tunnel. It'd shove a 7 weight right back at your feet. The 10 would punch through it. Once in a while we'd get a break in the wind near dusk and rather than switch over to the lighter rods, the trash talk would start and the long distance casting attempts would begin.

Really long casts, at least for our style of fishing, are not very practical so far as catching fish. It's very hard to effectively manage more than about 70 feet of line and 50 feet is a lot better. That's with sub-surface wet flies ... the little bit of dry fly fishing I've done calls for shorter lines yet.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...