MikeByrge: Good for you!
I have owned a lot of Remington 722's and 721's - they are good, reliable, safe and usually rather accurate Rifles.
It'll be fun finding and re-attaching those sights if you plan on that.
My close friend out in western Washington bought each of his three sons a Remington 722 Rifle in caliber 257 Roberts when they were around 12 - 13 years old and taught them gun safety then marksmanship and then took all of them Hunting with these Rifles. His sons are about 40 to 45 years old now and they all still have their Rifles.
Each of those sons has killed a Washington State Mt. Goat with their 257's and each was reported to me to have been a "one shot kill"!
The 257 Roberts with good bullets and good shot placement is a superb Deer and Antelope cartridge.
A number of years ago (eight?) I sold a Remington Model 722 in 257 Roberts.
I was selling it at a gunshow here in Dillon, Montana for a friend of mine and he wanted me to ask $500.00 for it.
It was in EXCELLENT and all original condition.
I was hoping that Rifle would not sell and once the gunshow was over I would offer him $400.00 for it and have a minty and nifty little 722 for my collection.
Well that didn't work out, as an elderly fellow from Idaho saw it and bought it for full asking price!
So much for my plan!
I hope you enjoy your 722 as much as I have enjoyed mine.
Let us know how it shoots.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy