Guys, here's an update. I did some searching this morning and it seems that everyone who shoots revolvers competitively uses Federal primers because they ignite easier in double action shooting where the tension on the main spring has been eased to lighten the trigger pull. I had a brick of Federals in the closet, so I primed a box of empty cartridges and headed to the garage for a test. Not one misfire in 50 rounds, so I repeated the test and same thing. Then I primed 50 more, loaded with powder and bullets and headed to the range. Another 50 or 50. So not one misfire in 150 tries.

Unlike loading for my hunting rifles I've never been particular about primers for my handguns. I've bought Federals but didn't care for them much because of the way they tumble out of the box sideways and then make me pick through them to get the right side up in the primer pan. My thinking on that changed today.

I've got some Alamont grips on order. I hope they won't hinder the main spring. I really don't like the factory grips that I'm using now.