Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Throwing this out there. Be honest with yourself. How far do you tow and how often? Alot of friends have campers and buy diesel trucks to tow them. They brag about being the first on top of the mountain. Most never go more than 70 miles. You don't need to fly and you don't need to scream your engine. If you drop a gear going uphill, it is possible to lift your foot a little, lower rpm slightly, and go up the hill. My dad has had 2500 GM trucks since 2004, all 6.0 I think. They have done well for him, but he doesn't pull anything heavy.

Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Throwing this out there. Be honest with yourself. How far do you tow and how often? Alot of friends have campers and buy diesel trucks to tow them. They brag about being the first on top of the mountain. Most never go more than 70 miles. You don't need to fly and you don't need to scream your engine. If you drop a gear going uphill, it is possible to lift your foot a little, lower rpm slightly, and go up the hill. My dad has had 2500 GM trucks since 2004, all 6.0 I think. They have done well for him, but he doesn't pull anything heavy.

It's not about how often you tow, it's about whether the engine and transmission is up to the task even if you just go once a year. Remember an 8000# travel trailer also has significant aerodynamic drag at freeway speeds.

I can't imagine a gasser being remotely close to a good choice for pulling an 8000# travel trailer at highway speeds, especially if you'll be running through the mountains. My boat's a mere 4000#'s with the trailer and I never once regretted getting a diesel to pull it.

Add a 30 mph headwind to that equation, and you really begin to appreciate a diesel!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....