Talked to the Leupold rep a few weeks ago at the NRA convention in Atlanta. I specifically asked about the VX3i, as I have two. My questions were referencing durability. He said they are as "durable as any other scope we've ever made, or moreso." They go through the same vigorous testing as all their scopes. I asked about the light weight and how it doesn't feel like the Leupold's from years ago.He attributed that to much improved manufacturing techniques over the years...nothing more, nothing less.

My second question I had was rumors I've been hearing about Leupolds being manufactured outside the US...in particular my LGS telling everyone they are now made in the Philippines as a cost cutting measure. He was as nice as could be, but I could tell he'd been asked that question before. He took me to the display and picked up a random scope, showing that it said designed, made, whatever...in the United States....can't remember the exact wording, but you know what I'm talking about. He then pointed out the gold ring and said "See that gold ring? That ring means its entirely made in the US...period." He then backed up a second and informed me that the glass, obviously, was outsourced...otherwise, it was all red, white and blue, adding that the glass making is a nasty nasty process. I thanked him for his time and before leaving he leaned in to me and in a lowered voice told me "tell your friend at the gun shop that I said he's full of s--t...we don't make scopes in the Philippines. You tell him I said that!"

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.