I have considered staying out of this discussion, not being a believer. But I have a couple of things to add. I think that they are relevant.

The article link was interesting, and brought back memories. I note that no one seemed to accept it as fact, at least not in this discussion. Just the lack of bruising on the “victims” face should have been enough. But if you go to the bottom you will find a disclaimer that says “World News Daily Report assumes all responsibility for the satirical nature of its articles and for the fictional nature of their content. All characters appearing in the articles in this website – even those based on real people – are entirely fictional and any resemblance between them and any person, living, dead or undead, is purely a miracle.“ Clear enough.

We live with Tabloid Magazines for sale at the checkout lanes of many grocery stores, all flashing sensational news across their front page. Alien abductions of course, children with three hands, anything and everything. Now the internet has expanded this to full blown “Fake News” (not a political statement). Some even advertise on this website.

OK, personal story #1... In my youth I was involved with a civic organization which ran a state wide camp for handicapped children. We were fundraising constantly to upgrade and support this camp.

At a state meeting of the organization they announced that a photographer was present representing a publication (I think in Baltimore) that was basically a tabloid as mentioned. Anyone who agreed to have their picture taken would “earn” a $10 donation to the camp, and if the publication decided to use one of your pictures then $100 would be donated to the camp.

I found a slot and sat for the man. I gave him sad faces, happy faces, wild faces, angry faces, stupid faces (this came naturally, I guess)... anything I could think of.

A couple of months later I got a call from the publisher. They wanted to use one of the takes. So the camp got its $100...

And I became the President (and probably the only member) of a charitable organization called “Howl No More”, an organization like the AA for alcoholics but for werewolves. We worked with the werewolves to try to get them to stay home during the nights of the full moon for their family's sake. They were definitely “running around” on their wives, and the howling was disturbing the neighbors. We had worked with many werewolves, and could furnish success stories upon request. And donations would be appreciated.

Still would be. Make your checks out to “Howl No More” and send them to me. I must still be the president... No one else could be elected since I didn't call a meeting.

There has been fake news for a long time. It just wasn't on NBC in the old days.

Personal story #2 - I too have heard strange things in the woods. Once I heard a Pterosaurs... but that's a different story. Until I found out better, it was a Pterosaurs. Never mind... I never thought of Bigfoot.

One night I was in the GSMNP . I was tent camping with a floorless tent with a plastic ground cloth, and is my habit in good weather I had the front opened up so I could monitor the campsite.

I was almost asleep when I heard something in the woods. It had to be several things in the woods. There was crunching and clicking and movement, what sounded like brush being swept aside and let go... what the Hades??? I got up on my elbows and stared into the darkness. The noises continued.

I quietly got my arm out of the bag and grabbed my flashlight. It wasn't much, an old two cell type, but I pointed it at the noises and turned it on. Nothing...

But I could still hear noises coming from that direction. My imagination was running, from deer to bear, to panthers or wild boar, coyotes, or whatever. Definitely not people. And definitely good sized beasts. I stared and listened into the dark and when I thought I had it right, I turned on the light again!

Nothing. I scanned right, then left. Nothing. No glowing eyes, no moving brush, no moving dark shadows... nothing!

But I could still hear it, or them! (Actually this was before the Bigfoot stunts/publicity/rumors, so that never crossed my mind). I waited, then I tried again!

Then I saw it.

There was a two inch centipede crawling on my plastic groundcloth about 8 inches in front of my nose. Its feet were beating strange patterns of sound on the thick plastic. My imagination was doing the rest.

Did you know that the human ears can tell left and right with great accuracy, but they can't tell up and down at all? I can prove that if you wish. So what I thought I heard off in the woods at a distance was actually very, very close and below my nose.

If I had not finally discovered the beastly bug then I would have had a great story for life. The night when SOMETHING in the woods threatened me with imminent disaster… All I had to do would be to let my imagination keep rolling... and believe me, it was rolling!

I flicked that bug out with my finger, and pretty well forgot about it until now.

Just call me “Howl No More”.

Sam
and "Appy Trails, to you..."