Gents:

Carol does some stargazing as a hobby and so after reading the yak on birdforum and cloudynights, decided to spring for a Cannon 10x42 IS for her. She hasn't gotten her paws on them yet... If you don't mind carrying around an unorthodox clunky bino on your chest with a really short warranty, the view is amazing.

Comparing them to two other 10x binos on hand, pretty much removed all doubts about stabilization. The glass clarity in this 10x Canon is also excellent. Snagged the 10x for the "L" glass which apparently is the higher grade and they are waterproof. Some of the dealers are selling these for under a grand. I would imagine they are hard to move as a stock item, so they are easier to shop for deals.

Personally, have a fair amount of tremor from ulnar nerve accidents involving both elbows (balance in all things). But I can still hold a 15x bino steady enough to use well at 300-500yds to check horns on whitetail in farm fields. Longer distances than that and it's on a tripod, which brings out its real potential both terrestrially and in the night sky. This Canon, however, really makes the long view easy, sans tripod. Am thinking maybe Carol would enjoy that 15x50 model even more...:)

They aren't going to replace my hunting binoculars...but they certainly may augment some particular situations. Worth a look if you have the shakes.

Defend the Constitution