Originally Posted by mart
I'm curious about the objection to real blackpowder? I've been using it for years in my flint and caplock rifles and prefer it. Both my current rifles (a flint 32 and a caplock 62) shoot more accurately with black than any of the substitutes. Frequent cleaning is necessary I know but not difficult. Kaywoodie is right. The lock is the heart of a flintlock and L&R is a good lock. I like 4f for a priming powder and 3f for the main charge. I also use 3f in my 62 and get better accuracy with it than 2f.

I have shot primarily investarms caplocks for the last 20 or so years. Black was kinda hard to get, where I was, so I used pyrodex. Ignition was a bit of a problem in some of the rifles, so I went to musket caps. When 777 became available, I tried it, and had very good results. It seemed to be better for ignition, and shot a good bit harder. I don't have a chronograph, but the drop was less. Clean up was easier, but to tell the truth, it's not a big deal, ya gotta clean thoroughly anyways. Tried some black last year. Found it to be stinky, dirty, less accurate, and didn't shoot near as hard. 100 grains of black seemed about the same as 75 or so of 777. Accuracy was certainly good enough for deer out to 100, but the 777 was far superior in my rifles. All 5 of mine shot harder, cleaner, and more accurately with 777. Black will do, though. I have no desire to have a misfire, when I finally drop the hammer on a deer. Too hard to come by up here! Shot many, many muzzleloader deer in Southern Md, where I was.