Originally Posted by RiverRider
I see more and more guys talking about how much neck tension they're setting up by various means. "I got .004" neck tension."

My take: if I understand the purpose of annealing case necks, this is a bunch of hooey. Tension is not a linear measurement to begin with (but I see the need to try to quantify somehow), and if you do not take the condition of each piece of brass into account (and just how would you quantify or qualify that in itself??) your linear measurement is pretty meaningless and real neck tension might be anything at all.

Your take?

my take ? it's something "new" to post about on the various forums now that the other terms
such as SD and the like are now commonplace for posts. somewhere in the mix, north american
game animals got real hard to kill, and must be shot at 500 yards with the proper SD bullet out of
a case that's been through an annealing machine, all the while properly twisting the target turrets
of a $3000.00 scope after consulting the chart taped to the rifle stock, etc. etc.