Originally Posted by jk16
Hey Digitial,

I grew up on ranches.Fully aware of a .22 shorts capabillities UP CLOSE on animals all the way up to 1,000lb + cattle with precise placement.

In my post I never said a 22 LR wont kill a hog. Or a short up close.

Really only someone pretty desperate or ignorant would do it when Shorts cost at least $8 per hundred and you can readily buy more accurate and powerfull 22 LR Standard velocity ammo for less money.

Not much point to it unless you just want to prove it can be done under ideal circumstances.Or its all you had at the time.
But you'd still be better off with 22LR SV loads if those hogs are any real distance from the muzzle.

I don't think I said that you said a LR won't kill a pig. I don't think I'm desperate or ignorant; in fact I'm probably one of the coldest hearts you've encountered. I suspect my world is not yours insofar as what I deal with in pursuit of the peegs and don't have a clue what you think "short up close" means. This is my turf.......

[Linked Image]

I haven't baited hogs in 10 years or more. I'm a still hunter.

I'm not doing this for sport, but rather as a volunteer for the state in a substantially regulated affair. That endeavor began a couple of years after I began culling hogs around the house and on neighboring private property. They tell me to use a .22 RF due to proximity of residential properties to the preserve where this takes place, and from 2007 up until last fall that was the deal, take it or leave it. I had two .22 RF guns at the time, one the short shooter, the other a 10/22. At the time the only ammo I had for the 10/22 was WW Power Point and based on short HVHP performance on a couple of pigs using that combo was a non-starter. Last fall the state legalized use of suppressors for hunting and the Sneezer was born.

I commented earlier that the CCI LR SV works ok and it does for the most part. It is not my preference because the bullets do not track in a straight line thru flesh and bone like the CBs. Nope, they tumble, zig and zag. No BFD on a frontal brain shot, but can be a deal on a broadside neck shot, BTDT. Another factor that is of significance is the report of the CBs versus that of the LR SV. They generally are only confused as to origins of the CB report and followup shots are common. Shoot mommy and the shoats mill around waiting for their demise. I've had that opportunity once with the LR SV. So my experience says advantage goes to the CB shorts. YMMV.

And I really don't GAS about costs. I laid on a significant supply of the CBs going back about 15 years ago and still have enough to load a couple or three semi trailers with pork.

At present all the pork goes to a local bad boys rehab facility. They eat well from time to time. Body count over the years is probably up around 140-150, I quit tracking that maybe 5 years back. 80+ fell to the CBs and only one required a second shot.

That said, if your beliefs work for you, by all means keep on keepin' on. I'm not here to sway your judgement.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain