Originally Posted by woodmaster81
I was like you with my first wirehair, thought it great the dog would be sharp on fur and hunt everything. I learned that was not necessarily for the better as the dog would also take after anything it considered vermin- even the farmer's barn cats.The dogs also began to prefer to hunt fur and their work on feathered game weakened with points not being as common nor as intense when they did occur. As I was not always able to see the dogs and call them off when they were casing some furred animal, we spent a lot of field time and especially energy messing with less desirable game./quote]

good points right there, - I don'yt expect miracles by far and yes, birds are priority - we will see how she develops - as I said in first post, I just hope I don't mess her up!!

[quote=woodmaster81],,,As is so often the case, one often needs to prioritize their desires. Trying to be a Jack of all trades leaves one with some deficiencies in all areas.

you know, my wife has said for years,,,"why don't you just hunt one thing, it would be easier on you"!!! She is likely right!

Originally Posted by woodmaster81
NAVHDA testing places more emphasis on bird work which is what I am most interested in. The VDD places a much greater emphasis on tracking and working furred game which I feel decreases the bird handling abilities of the breed. Staunch supporters of each will vehemently disagree with me but those are my observations over 40+ years. I do insist my dogs retrieve on land and water and the Continental breeds would also blood track when assigned but work on fur beyond that is not encouraged these days.

thanks for the thoughts on NAVHDA and VDD,,,,,,,and your thoughts on fur vs feather,,,,,,,,

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic.....so help me God