Hello, first off I want to tell you guys that this has been an incredibly helpful forum to read through. I have read many posts trying to learn as much as i could about the 99 after I discovered them. Also, Mr. Royal, thank you for writing your book, together with the Murray book it has been a great resource. After learning as I much as I could from the books, the forum, looking at examples, I purchased a 1950 R in 300 Savage.

Rifle looks great, functioned fine at the range today, EXCEPT that at 50 yards, I was shooting WAY too high (8-10 inches). A 50 yard range is the only rifle range I have easy access to. Ammunition was 150 Grain Federal factory ammunition. Sights are the factory semi buckhorn and raised ramp with brass colored bead. My question is, am I doing anything wrong, or is there something that I need to do to the rifle to correct this problem? I was placing the front bead inside the lower notch in the rear sight and then placing the bullseye right on top of the front bead, I guess what you could call point of aim sighting(?). The rear sight is on the second notch from the back of the ramp. The internal magazine, feeding, and extraction worked perfectly. Trigger pull was not nearly as bad as I had thought it might have been from reading on the interwebs.

I am pretty new to vintage centerfire rifles, and the 99. I would love to hear from the wealth of knowledge regarding these rifles present here. I'm having trouble uploading pictures right now, it says all of mine are too big, so no pics as of yet. I would love to hear from the forum about the sighting. Thanks in advance!