http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/b...c-after-scalise-shooting/article/2625970

I'm not sure I believe politicians should carry firearms--or have bodyguards, for that matter.

They have an awful lot of coercive power over people. I could understand an argument that complete lack of access to any form of physical defense would tend to persuade a politician to use his power only for good, and to try to avoid doing anything to make somebody angry enough to murder him.

There's also the fact that politicians are not exactly a scarce resource: whenever one does get eliminated, there's always a whole slimy pile of enthusiastic prospective replacements climbing over each other for the chance. It's not like there's any compelling reason to preserve them.

At any rate, we can at least agree that _no_ politician is morally entitled to the means of self-defense until after every single one of the rest of us has it.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867