I recently installed on a new Ruger No.1-A, in .275 Rigby, a Kepplinger single set trigger I had used on another rifle years ago. Compared to the original four pound trigger on the new No.1, the Kepplinger is simply breathtaking. Unset, its pull weight is one and a half pounds (not adjustable), but with a fairly long pull before it releases the hammer (sort of like a really, really light double-action on a revolver), so it's not as dangerous as it sounds. But, when it is pushed forward to set, it doesn't even make the minimum on my scale, though it did move the pointer just slightly. I estimate two ounces. I previously had it on a No.1-V .223, which is why I had it adjusted so light (just heavy enough it wouldn't go off when I firmly smacked the side of the butt with my hand or the recoil pad against the floor). I could adjust it up some. But, with anything below 8 ounces, I don't know that it really makes much difference to safe gun handling. So, I'll reserve the set feature for use only in those limited hunting situations requiring a slow, deliberate, precision shot. Another Kepplinger trigger I had on a No.1-A .30-06 went with the rifle when I sold it to a friend. It was also one and a half pounds unset, but I had it adjusted to about six ounces when set. With either one, there was never much worry of jerking the trigger.

I think I saw that Kepplinger single set triggers for Ruger No.1 and No.3 rifles were still available not too long ago. I'm sure glad I kept one.

Every day’s an adventure.