Hello everybody, I am sorry for the late reply to this thread, but i only just joined the forum today.

Well to make it short, my early impression is that the 308, 30-06, 7x64 brenneke (a european catridge basically equal to the .280 rem), and the 7 mm rem mag are the most common calibres in use by rifle hunters here. At least for bigger game.
Take it with a little grain of salt though, as i have only just passed my italian hunting license recently, and havnt been much in the field yet.

As for the type of game huntable here, the ones mentioned above seemed correct. However exactly which animals you can hunt where, depends a lot on the given region of italy you're in.
In Emilia-Romagna and Tuscany for example, you'll find that deer, crown deer and wild boar are huntable, whilst in the alps chamois might be a more typical legal medium sized game. In other regions it might be different still. So researching what's huntable in not just italy, but in the given region of italy you're interested in hunting in, is probably a good idea.

Lastly there can be a difference between the rules of normal state land hunting, (which is what most normal italian hunters do), and private hunting establishments. So again, get down to the specifics of where and how you'd like to hunt, and then research it from there.

Best of luck smile , if the hunt is yet to happen ,)

Hugin