Originally Posted by 325Abn
I do a bit of leather work for my knives, axe sheaths, archery arm guards, etc. and that looks like some beautiful handiwork!!!

Did the maker put a welt between the layers? I do for any sheath going over an edged tool - otherwise, the stitching and/or leather gets sliced out very quickly.

I see what you are saying, but no. In this case it would be hard for that to happen. There is a good inch of gap past the end of the edge on both sides and the sheath is contoured with the shape of the edge so that gap maintains the length of the edge......the leather is fashioned around the handle in such a way that as soon as the edge starts down in the sheath the sheath is already up to the thick part of the handle keeping it straight and true. You would really have to physically put pressure in a pushing fashion on either the end of the sheath or the handle to get it tilted enough where the leading top edge might be able to reach the edge of the leather and stitching. It cannot twist left or right because the handle is flat and wide at that point and the leather fits snuggly against the flat part.

Here's a view of the sheath around the handle. It's a tight fit that runs it straight on and off, yet goes on and off very easily. The more I look at it the more I realize all the figuring I would've had to do to get it even close to this. They done a good job.

[Linked Image]

Might be hard to see but here is a view with it open and the inch or so gap on each side of the edge.

[Linked Image]

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.