Originally Posted by johno
To my knowledge the 256 win mag was never imported down here though ive heard of a few 30 carbines.

I'd like to hear how you found the 256 seems like it would be a fun rifle for rabbits & foxes.

Johno

Johno,

I haven't worked with the Model 62 I have enough to give you the rundown as william_iorg did. I have shot a few rounds though mine, maybe 50? I haven't experienced the case head separation,.......... yet. My loads are in the 'medium" range at present. I haven't worked up to max for that gun yet.. I might not if I find a load that shoots well, and extends case life.

My problem is I have a custom revolver in that cartridge and I'd like to find a nice strong level load to use in both without ruining brass. As someone else stated, it's expensive when you can find it. I have a good supply I found at a gun show. Do they have anything similar there in Australia? I haven't attempted to make them from .357 magnum yet, but online searches say it's anywhere from easy to a pain in the arse.

I actually found some original Winchester ammunition, but haven't shot any yet as it is worth more as collector ammo than it is for me to reload it. My Model 62 came with some load info from the previous owner so I'll check those out, perhaps he found one that works without ruining brass. He used some varmint bullets that I believe are no longer available. There is a good amount of date online also.

I can tell you, even from the short (7.5") barrel of my pistol it is more than capable for rabbits and foxes. I killed a javelina of about 30 lbs dressed weight with it using the 75 gr flatpoints from Speer (number 1237). The lungs and liver were mush. I'd imagine they would work well for other things you have there, smaller 'roos maybe?

Someone on here posted some info about a Ruger .357/77 they converted to .256 WinMag. It seems like a suitable rifle for the cartridge, if magazine length allows pointy bullets it might be perfect. I'd like to do one up for myself, but the cost of the donor rifle, even used is too much for me at this time.

Good luck with the round and rifle if you decide to use it.

I look forward to working with mine for a little while as I'm turning "retired" soon and will have more time to get to the range to play with it. Should it not work out, I may send it down the road to finance the Ruger option?

Thanks for starting this off, perhaps it will gain a little traction as I kinda like the little gun on first impression.

Geno

PS, should I find a decent load for it, I'll use out back of our place for bunnies and coyotes and try to remember to post results for all to see.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?