Originally Posted by lvmiker
Originally Posted by GunGeek
In .308 the AR's are the better target rifles, and the FAL's the better combat rifles.

I guess the Brits didn't know that when they bought all those LMTs in 308. Or maybe they forgot about those FALs they had laying around?

mike r
I should have used "battle rifle" rather than "combat rifle"

They bought the LMT's for designated marksman rifles, not as a general issue infantry rifle...so my statement holds up perfectly.

It should be noted that most NATO nations tested the AR10 against the FAL (as did the US) and almost universally NATO rejected the AR-10 in favor of the FAL. The only NATO nation who bought the AR-10 in any real numbers was Portugal. They purchased them from The Netherlands where the AR-10 was actually manufactured. Incidentally, even though The Netherlands manufactured the AR-10, even they didn't adopt it. They bought a few thousand for evaluation and use by special troops, but ended up with the FAL. Portugal ended up with the G3 and produced them locally. PTR bought the blueprints and some of the machinery from Portugal for the PTR rifles they sell today.