Interesting post....
I am also in CA and a few months back I was on the receiving end of a similar same empty package of ammo components. My post master said it was the shippers responsibility to file a claim, as the receiver (buyer/me) had received nothing but an empty package, was not involved in the packaging, nor the knew the real condition/value of the contents. The seller immediately refunded my money and started the paperwork - my part was to take the received packaging to my post master for verification, etc.

I have read of other having issues with ammo components shipping. I don't believe it would be too large of a stretch to say that ammo component contents (and guns) are fairly easy to ID by weight, shifting weight, and sound if not packed to prevent same. Thus an improperly packed package encourages anti-gunners and others to have an "Oops moment".

I have always pack/package so that the contents cannot move or be heard; plus, so that the package can take a reasonable "lick" (toss/bounce) without splitting open or damaging the contents. Now, I mention the same method of packaging to a seller when I purchase something, as this method of packing does not seem to be common knowledge.
Tip of the hat to the OP / WL205 for switching sides mid-stream with the additional input... lots of folks don't... your on my GOOD GUY list.

If things were as obvious as they initially appear . . . then men would be riding horseback sidesaddle . . . and not women. - Will Rogers