Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Our daughter is going in to her 2d year of dental school at OHSU (Oregon Health and Science Univ). We are in Portland now to attend her white coat ceremony. It's when they complete their 1st year of school and now can start working on live patients. They're given a white coat at a ceremony that's done at all medical schools and they make a big deal out of it.

Anyway, there are 74 students in her class. The makeup is what caught my eye. Granted, OR isn't an eastern state with lots of blacks but they do have a good number. Out of 74 students, I counted 17, or 22%, with Oriental or Middle Eastern names. There were several women wearing head scarves. There's no way to tell if they're American or foreign born but I did hear a lot of very foreign accents. There was 1 hispanic name and 1 black person, a woman. She had a large contingent of family with her, support that many blacks don't have. If she got this far, I'm convinced that she'll go a long way.

One final observation: out of 74 students, approx 30 were women. If this class is representative of dental schools, we're going to have a very foxy bunch of dentists in a few years. Almost all of them were very good looking.

Pretty much standard demographics these days for Dental and Med schools. Congrats to your daughter and I wish her a long and successful career!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo