You must be very careful with Mountain House this year. This year the west is at the top of the cycle for the dreaded Rocky Mountain Barking Spider. They are attracted by Mountain House. You probably won't see them but you'll hear them around camp at night after Mountain House draws them in. Some of those [bleep] are small and squeaky while others let loose a full on battle cry which can be most disturbing. Unlike normal spiders who have a venomous bite, Rocky Mountain Barking Spiders kill with a noxious odor.

So far as Mountain House itself, I think the packets are the way to go. You can have 2-3-4 different kinds instead of being stuck with a single flavor. If you're cooking at the truck, it might be worth taking bowls to dump them into after they reconstitute, makes eating easier. Salt and pepper, garlic salt, maybe even a little vegetable oil or butter, and if you get the Italian flavors, a small amount of ground parmesan can turn them from ok-ish to pretty damned good. There aren't any of the dinners I don't like. Breakfast eggs with bacon is good .. personally, I drink whatever water didn't absorb rather than pour it out. Mid-day, the granola is good 'cause y' just add water, no heat needed, and you can eat it immediately. Biscuits and gravy is bland.

But .. do watch out for those "spiders".

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...