Originally Posted by bangeye
Several years ago I had a deer present a shot about 5 min before the end of legal shooting. The weather was pretty overcast so it was really getting pretty dark. Never the less I could make out the deer fairly well thru the scope. Having read about all of the nimrods shooting deer in the dark I thought why not. I squeezed off the shot and the effect was somewhat like staring intently at a camera flash about a foot away. The muzzle flash from my 243 was quite intense and I was immediately rendered night blind and I had to sit there for close to 30-40 minutes before climbing out of my tree stand. Obviously I was blinded to the deers reaction to the shot. I heard it move off to my left but there was no hope of seeing it . On getting down I went to where the deer had been standing . I looked around for the deer and a blood trail but really I couldn't see anything but white spots so I finally packed it in and decided to go back the next morning. It rained in the night so the next day there was no sign. The end I don't know if I even hit the deer and if so it made it over the ridge to the next farm. The whole experience was quite negative , I didn't get the deer, I saw spots for2-3 days following and I vowed to never shoot at another deer in low light again. So frankly my 30 year old vari x-ii was more than enough to see the deer in the light low enough to cause the issues I experienced I.e. it was too dark to shoot. So I don't see the need for a scope that would allow you to seen even lower light. Ymmv but for me never again. I would suggest if you are interested to take your existing scopes to the range late one evening and touch off a few.

Is that why you are known as Bangeye? I've shot several in low light and bunches of varmints at night with my deer rifle without any ill effects. Go figure?