I used my father's fiberglass longbow for several years before I got one of my own. It too was a Bear. A 35lbs recurve with which I took several deer before my school decided every kid had to take a mandatory Phys ed course (archery) .
It was 20yard shooting with 25lb recurve.
They wouldn't listen when I told them this was useless, and so I brought my bow, second day, and tested out with a few broken shafts stacked too tight. (They finally agreed they couldn't teach me anything I didn't already know.)
My dad was so proud, he bought me a compound for my 16th birthday present. An Indian Stalker 45-55lb, I still use. In fact, I now have a second set up for a guest with a loop for a release (I've never used one).
The guest bow has sights, unlike my own. I shoot instinctive, and differently than most folks. I've never really understood the drive for the latest and greatest (gun/bow/crossbow/knife) They are just tools of the craftsman.
That tool that was "top shelf" then, is still quality, even if the bar has been raised. I'm appalled sometimes, by the casting off of last year's model, in favor for this year's marvel.
(Case in point):....."So the switchback was way ahead of its competitors. The halon is maybe not "ahead" as much as it is perfection of past advancements in technology.
I have said this on many other threads, it is flat out the most perfect compound bow made to date by any manufacturer. Not to say some of the other bows this year aren't awesome as well."....(from reviews of talon vs mathews switchback 2016).
They all work well enough to do the job. Even a bent sapling and a bootlace will throw an arrow well enough to kill deer. It worked 30 years ago, it will work now.
The rest is up to the archer.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~