Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Originally Posted by 805
AH what pack did you switch to?

I'm currently playing with a Kuiu Icon large/tall frame, but too soon to tell if I like really it or not. I'm behind on training this year, and having to hustle to catch up.

I've been happy with the Kuiu ability to swap the pack off of the frame. The waist belt is similar to the Exo design, and "locks" when you adjust it. One of my biggest gripes with most packs is the need to re-cinch waist every quarter-half mile.

I've had good results with the Eberlstock products, I just spent a four-day weekend in the Sawtooth area of Idaho with a Little Brother day pack that was comfortable. My chief complaint on the Eberlstock pack line in the larger models is physical weight, they are heavy when empty, but they have carried well for me loaded. I used the Tailhook for a couple years as a day pack, but again, heavy when empty, and over-built bulky materials that took interior space away from carrying capacity.

However, I agreed with the comments above, they are a medium duty pack IMHO, and not as efficient as some of the other upper end packs listed in this thread.

I have used a Tenzig 6500 and a MR Grizzly as training pack over the past few years, the Tenzig more than others. The Tenzig has carried 30-45 pounds from Day One, and has not ripped, torn, sagged or really caused my any issues. It does not cinch down well when lightly loaded, and has some slop when moving. The waist belt slips, and that has kept it from being more than a trainer for me.

LA brings up a good point I missed - the Exo WAS very easy to shoot a bow with, and I could turn, bend, and kneel with little effort. The frame length of the Exo came up behind my head, which I also did not like as much.

AH64guy, let me know if you want to test drive a Kifaru Reckoning. I've been wearing it up and down Bull Run mtn with a loads varying from 60-80lbs getting ready for this fall. I also have a Seek Outside which is nice.

Thanks,

Being a gear junkie, I'd probably take you up on the offer. The Reckoning may be a bit more in size than I need, though.

I've got about 50 miles under the Kuiu, it's been good, limited back pain, and has seemed to ride where I put it from start to finish of a hike. I have the training weight in a 1800 Icon bag, and held against the CF frame in their version of a load sling.

The Icon bag does "squeak/groan" against the pack frame a small amount, not an issue for rifle hunting IMHO, but may be a factor for archery. I'm carrying the bag in a different manner than designed, so I may inducing the problem myself.

The waist belt has been great on staying locked, it doesn't slip nearly as bad as I had found with Tenzig and Eberlstock.

Last edited by AH64guy; 07/31/17.