I started casting for .22s when I got the Hornet in an attempt to replace .22 rimfires and because I very quickly and easily accomplished my goal of minute of fox squirrel at realistic small game range, I quit experimenting. I worked with the Lyman 225438 and 225415, eventually settling on the NOE 45 grain WFN (I got mine in plain base) in my 219 and the Lee Bator pushed a little faster with 2400 in the 322. It worked out great and I don't hunt with a .22 LR much anymore.

I'd always had an interest in the .222 though, and the longer neck than the .223 seem to make it an obvious choice for cast beyond what the Hornet can do. I have a bunch of 225462s cast up and have been working with them in this rifle. I changed out the scope on it today and I think it'll help, also scrapped the old brass I was using and broke into a stash of once fired stuff. Up to now, I've been using fairly small charges of pistol powders, 7625, Unique, etc. I'd try some 4198, but used up the last little bit I had in the aforementioned Krag. I'll try some 4895 or 5744.

Back to the barrel band issue, I seem to recall now that I think back, reading about guys welding metal to the rear tang on these and threading a hole so a screw replacing the rear trigger guard would be an additional screw holding the action in like a "conventional" bolt action allowing the removal of the band. I haven't had this one out of the stock to look, maybe this one has been done. I'll check tomorrow.