IMO they're good rifles. Plenty accurate for small game and reliable if cleaned about every 500 rounds I've had a couple of them. The barrel on the one I still have, a 1967 BDL model, is a little under 24 ". The open sights on the BDLS are pretty good. I think they're the same open sights Remington put on their 700 centerfires. Right now I've got a Leupold M8 4x on mine. IMO it fits the rifle well and is all the scope I need for most of my 22 rimfire use.

As advertised the 552s will cycle Shorts, Longs and LRs. Mine is more accurate with LRs. Std. velocity LRs work pretty well for back east early season squirrel hunting when the leaves are on the trees and most shots are usually closer. I got good accuracy with CCI's std velocity LRs. Accurate enough for head shots with a 4x scope out to at least 50 yards and quiet.

If the trigger's too heavy cut a coil or less off the sear spring. Remington part # F 17518. I got an extra from Brownell's but didn't need it. I did this with both of mine. Probably got lucky but after cutting the sear spring both trigger's were/are as good or better than my 10-22 trigger with a Power Custom kit which is pretty good.

Watch out for the left side operating rod handle, if your hands not clear you'll know it. 552 takedown and reassembly aren't as simple as say a 10-22 but not bad once you've done it. There are good you tube videos on it.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 08/05/17.