Son-in-law asked me by email what the best straight-wall cartridge for Iowa is, now that they are legal as opposed to shotgun and handgun only.. He doesn't handload - at least not yet.
I suggested the .450 Bushmaster in the Ruger American, a Marlin (a real one, not a Remlin) in .444 Marlin or a .45-70 (again in a real Marlin or one of the newest ones but definitely not one of the early Remlins) or a 45-70 in a Ruger #1.

I also suggested my .375 Win would be a great option. Had it at the range yesterday and was blasting clay pigeons at 300 yards at will and pinging the steel at 500. Couple of problems with the .375, though. First, while bullets are available from Sierra and Les Volmer, the now discontinued Hornady 220g shot best in my rifle. The Speer 235g also work pretty well but as I recall from early experiments, they require special load considerations. Fortunately I have about 600 bullets on hand and hundreds of cases. Second, I paid $350 for my Marlin 375 and really like the rifle. With the Wild West Guns 'Happy Trigger', Warne WD rings, Leupold scope and Williams Firesights, I probably have $700 wrapped up in it. Saw a plain Marlin 375 on gunbroker yesterday, $1400 minimum bid, $1600 'Buy now'. Told my son-in-law he was SOL on the.375.

Curious what people here would recommend?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.