Hey Guys,

I am at it again. As I try to get not only my son's 243 ready for his hunt, I have my 300 to get ready and also a couple rifles for other people to set up.
That being said I really don't want to mess around with the ladder test.
Here is my question:
If the manual states the starting load is 70gr and 3000fps and max load 75gr and 3250fps (just throwing numbers as an example) am I safe to load 3 rounds of say 73, 73.5 and 74 grains and not worry about the starting load or max load since i don't need to be near max unless it benefits accuracy and I don't wanna be near starting load due to trying to acchieve a certain hypothetical fps?
I know the fps numbers in the book will vary gun to gun and loader to loader but they are a good reference. in my 300 with a 190 or 212 pill, Ideally I'd like to hit 2800fps. Would 2900fps be nice, sure I guess it would but if my bottom number is 2800+/- why push it especially if somewhere between 2800 and 2900 I can find a group?
These are just hypothetical of course and I may be able to go closer to starting based on my chrono or need to go higher but I really would rather shoot for groups than do a ladder and in some case would rather not start with starting and not end with max atleast based on the book If I end up having to go down or up after my first shot due to pressure signs, I will, but im trying to avoid the ladder as much as possible.

Any thoughts? lol

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1