I have sevaral model 70s on which I am upgrading or moving scopes. In taking off the old scopes, I was surprised at the amount of ring marks. All of them use Leupold standard mounts. I noticed the windage screws were loose on one as well. I will be replacing the front base on one long action with an extension base and want to switch out the extension bases on a short action as well. The new scopes will likely stay on the rifles for a long time, but resale is definitely better if you can avoid ring marks.

Recently I mounted a scope on a Marlin 336 using Warne detachable rings and an EGW base. I like the setup and felt it was easy to do a good job with the mounting. Also have used Burris Z rings on a Weaver base on a 10/22 and like that setup as well. It seems to me that the Leupold bases are harder to work with and to get a good result.

I actually kind like the old school look of the Leupold Standard bases, but the Warnes are nice and the Zee rings are fine too. I would use 2 piece bases on the M70s, non-detachable ring

I suspect it will cost about $50/rifle to switch x 4 = $200. What do you think - keep using the Leupolds or switch them out, and with what?