So usually I/we buy a gun for a particular purpose, and then get the best scope for that application. Well, due to an unusual circumstance I've got a scope on it's way that needs a home. The void I feel I have is a true mountain hunting rifle. Mountain hunting to me is 4 to 11 miles a day, and elevation can go both ways many times in a day. So it needs to be easy to haul, but I don't really need an "uber" light gun. I had a 7-08 that always enjoyed, but now haunts me because I never should have sold it. So caliber, most likely 7-08...although 280AI, well I've always wanted one. The problem w/ the 280AI is it's quite similar to the 270 and I have a rifle in 270win that I'll never sell. Anyway, what rifle? $900 is the limit, give or take. I've been thinking the Howa Alpine, fondled one ~2 years ago, but can't seem to find one locally now. Like the savage lightweight hunters, but the barrel is almost too thin to me... but I could probably get over it. Doesn't have to be super light. The scope is ~18oz, so I'd like to keep the rifle to 7 pounds (or less) before mount and scope. I'm also thinking Tikka Tx3 lite, in stainless. I'd prefer stainless as I know some mountain hunts are more wet than not. I'm rambling...so what say ye, sages of 24HCF?