After I get my rebate in, I will have $350 in a brand new Guide Gun. When I compare it to my revered JM 1894, the quality between the two is very similar. The sight hoods and sights are the same. Wood to metal fit is a bit better on the GG. The forearm on the 1894 has rounded edges vise the squared off edges of the newer Marlins. The 1894 is stainless, so it is kinda hard to compare metal finish, but both are fine. I have yet to shoot the GG, but it WILL be more accurate than the 1894. The wood on both is pretty nice. The GG has a little more figure, but that's luck of the draw. Most of the people running down Marlin these days are doing it based on what they read on the internet about the problems Remington had getting the newly acquired Marlin off the ground. Those are the same people that will swear Nosler Ballistic Tips blow up on deer. Remington had some pretty serious issues. They have worked through those for the most part. My experience with modern Remington products is better than my experience with modern Ruger products.