Greetings John,

The two hunting scopes of this type that I use most often are the Zeiss 2-10x42 HD5 with RapidZ-600 reticle and the Schmidt & Bender 3-12x40 Klassik with TDS reticle. Both are very good scopes, but very different - let me explain:

The Zeiss RapidZ-600 reticle is IMO brilliant. The wire/stadia thickness is about perfect, and the sub tensions are very useable for a variety of calibers. The parallax zero is set at 300 meters (I think) from the factory which is about perfect for this type of scope. Most will say this doesn't matter in a scope of this power range, but it does to me, especially in improvised field positions. This is NOT a good scope for shooting groups at 100 yards off the bench because of the parallax setting. It's a second focal plane scope so the sub tensions/power setting can be calibrated to your ammunition in a variety of conditions. I much prefer first focal plane scopes in the field because there's less to think about, but I must admit this calibration feature is pretty nice, as long as you have the presence of mind to set the scope to the right power at "go time". Lastly, a friends HD5 failed a few years back on a whitetail hunt in Wyoming, but he was dialing elevation for each shot. Aside from range sight in sessions, I do not dial this scope and have never had a problem.

The Schmidt & Bender 3-13x42 Klassik with the TDS reticle is a first focal plane scope, which means the stadia are always accurate WRT the ammunition as long as it (the ammunition/rifle) is calibrated to the local environmentals. I live at sea level, but often hunt above 5000 feet so I always (almost) double check the stadia at longer range (400 yards or so). The stadia layout on the TDS reticle is a little odd (i.e., the distance between the stadia is inconsistent), and it's IPHY based, but very effective once you get used to it. The stadia thickness is a little heavy, but I've never missed an animal because of this. Actually this can be a benefit. For example if the stadia subtends 0.75 MOA and my gun is good for 1 MOA, if the reticle covers too much of the target I KNOW the uncertainty band of the shot is too much and I should pass. I know it works great on mule deer and elk, but it may be a touch too heavy for Coues whitetails. The parallax zero on this scope is set to 100 meters even though older web postings by S&B said otherwise. S&B will adjust the parallax out to 300 meters or so, but for a fee. Yes that's a little irritating. Lastly, this scope seams to be very tough. I have them mounted on a 300 Weatherby and a 330 Dakota and have never had a problem.

I've said this before, but IMO the "perfect" big game hunting scope would combine the best features of these two scopes - The toughness and FFP reticle of the Klassik with the usability of the RapidZ-600 and lighter weight of the HD5.

That's probably more information than you wanted, especially considering neither of these scopes is on your short list. Nevertheless, it may help your decision making process a little.

Best,
LJB