Over the weekend I had a chance to shoot on a friend's range that goes out to 1,200 yards. I've never shot past 400, but felt confident I could out shoot most everyone in the group as only one of them had shot past 200 on paper.
At 400 and 500, I simply used my B&C reticle and was able to make good hits on a 3" orange dot painted on a 4'x4' steel plate. So then we backed up to 800 yd and painted a volleyball sized dot. I dialed up 17.75 MOA as per my Strelock app and missed bad low on the first shot. Next 3 shots, I held about 18" over the dot and shot a respectable 12" group centered around the dot. Then we backed up to 1000 yards and I missed the entire steel plate twice and gave up as it was getting hot and we were hungry.

I know for some of you with long range equipment and experience this is easy, but with a stock hunting rifle I thought a 12" group at 800 was decent, considering the bench and rest situation wasn't great and I was sweating like crazy.

Here is my question. Why were my 800 and 1000 yard shots so low in comparison to what Strelock said? Does Strelock take into account the changing BC of a bullet as it slows down? Was it my scope adjustments that may or may not be exactly 1/4 MOA per click? Was it just me not applying all the factors correctly?

Here is my specs:
7mm08 with 150 gr LRAB at 2750 fps
BC = 0.59
Scope to Bore = 1.8"
Weather = 85*
Leupold VX3 - 3.5x10x50 with B&C, no turrents

Can one of you guys run the numbers with some better software for me? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by country_20boy; 08/21/17.