Drove a Haval
Originally Posted by EdM
Saw many Great Wall pick-ups when we were living in Australia. No idea if they were WAF.

I drove a Haval H1 (the SUV/Crossover line for Great Wall) for a year and a half. Cost all of $10,000 and realistically worth about that price. I don't think it would be much of a game changer here in the USA. The thing is, is that the slightly larger H2, with the 1.5l turbo/6sp is a LOT more vehicle, and currently running about $11,000 equipped nicely. That car could upset the market, as it delivers a lot more value, and with a lot more sophistication and refinement than the H1.

Durability wise, I really couldn't say, only driving the H1 about 30,000 kilometers without issues. Well, the Chinese market spec'd wipers were just absolute crap, with a life of about 3 hours without degradation. After that, they just broke down. But in general, the vehicle wasn't really up to snuff. Silly stuff, like the GPS had a Russian accent (we called her Nadya) and used data that was hopelessly out of date. If you used the GPS, then you didn't have a clock. You could not change the radio station if the GPS was in use. Back up, and the radio turned off while the picture was on the display. They forgot to install the bar for the hood, but that was remedied by the dealer n/p.

The thing is, is that s--t changes FAST in China. Rapid improvements all the time. In 5 years, I have little doubt that there will be a significant Chinese presence in the global car market. Heck, China already is the worlds largest car market by country...