Thanks in part to Jim In Idaho (damn enabler!) and his Ruger 77 from RJ Renner I finally went ahead and sent my No.1 in. Took about 4 weeks and I picked it up Saturday. Got the Skinner and the NECG partridge mounted so now I just got to sight her in.

Aesthetically, it's beautiful (imho). I know the Henry fore end has some history but this is how Ruger should have made the No.1. Very sleek and befitting a nice single shot. The Skinner complements it perfectly.

Function wise, I did some preliminary measurements before I sent it in and when it came back. Most of the removal was from the fore end with the rest focusing on the top of the comb. Roger lowered it and thinned it out and moved the 'nose' back a bit. For not removing much, it sure made a difference in feel. From my measurements I don't think he touched the wrist/grip area but perhaps due to the work on the comb it feels a little thinner and more open--more comfortable to me. The rifle comes up perfectly in line with the open sights, now. In fact, I think I had been getting in the habit of squishing my face down because now I just bring it up gently and it's there! Feels like a nice little 20 gauge.

Roger does excellent work with great communication and fast service. Can't recommend him enough. In fact, I'll be saving some moolah and hope to find an African in 9.3 in the future to send to him for the Teutonic treatment. I thought the price was fair considering the work involved and the fact a good fiberglass stock will set you back damn near $600. Can't recall if the wood stood a little 'proud' of the receiver on this one (a Farqhuarson nod, is it not?) but if so, he pbeveled it down flush. The re-checkering is deep, clean and precise. Again, top notch work all around.

Oh, and like Jim, I put a (small) scratch in it trying to balance it on that fence post--the only one around. This, even after thinking of Jim's mishap the entire time. Damn it! blush cry Oh well, character marks, right? It is gonna be a hunting rifle, after all.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MojoHand; 08/26/17. Reason: Its Renner...not Jenner!

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...