Originally Posted by patbrennan
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by SU35
Out of curiosity,

Which is the better action a 1640 or a Pre-64 to build a 9.3

I guess that it would depend on which action you prefer.

The 1640 donor would probably be a little lighter, have alloy bottom metal, and be less expensive than a pre-'64 Model 70 donor. Simpson, LTD, in Galesburg, IL, is probably the biggest importer of used Husqvarna sporting rifle and may have a rifle with a good HVA action, but a poor/fair barrel and/or stock, that could be purchased for a better than average price.

My 9.3x62 has a Lothar Walther barrel on an Interarms Mark X with a mannlicher stock.

IIRC, a 1640 action with steel bottom metal/tg is 43 ounces and the alloy bottom metal makes them 40 ounces(but has a reputation of being a bit fragile at times if stressed). A fwt pre 64 action is right at about 43 ounces.
I am a big husqvarna fan but their stock trigger typically is pretty bad. If you can get one with an adjustable trigger you are good to go though. The stock trigger is a bit of a deal killer for me. FWIW, for myself, of the two actions, a pre 64 fwt action would be the action of choice on a build (primarily due to the trigger and safety).

I agree with you on the Husqvarna triggers. When I went through a "hunt everything with a S&W firearm" period, I rebarreled a pair of S&W 1900 series C's to 256 Newton and 338-06. If I'd been doing a metric pair, I probably would have used the same donors in 7x57 and 9.3x62. Later on, when I put together a metric pair to shoot plains game with, I did them as Interarms Mark X mannlichers in 7x57 and 9.3x62.