Originally Posted by las
Oh, the irony!

Some gal down in Kasilof started a "give moose a brake" campaign - i.e. slow down, especially at night. I was working swing shift the first night I heard it on the radio and thought it an excellent idea, since I was usually on the road going 25 miles home about 2 a.m., prime moose time. So I did 45 instead of 55-60 on the way home.

100 yards from the turnoff the main highway (2 miles from the house), a cow moose came out of the deep ditch on the right, crossed the road, did not like the even deeper ditch over there, came back into the middle of my lane and turned straight away. Even tho I was on the binders, she still wasn't fast enough, and we were both out of maneuvering room and time. Our combined speed was probably no more than 25 or so, but it broke her back leg or hip and caved in the whole front end of the 150.

With a growing family, I needed more vehicle anyway. Fortunately a trooper came over the hill not 2 minutes later, dispatched the moose, and gave me a ride home. I have missed others by mere inches to 2 or 3 feet.

A few years later, just down the road, someone's horse was exploded - literally- all over the road by a loaded 18 wheeler, which wound up off the left side of the road, wedged nicely between two spruce - not wedged tightly enough to tree damage the cab, just tightly enough the driver had to go out the window.

If you were going our normal speed you would have been home when the moose came on to the road.

Last edited by Ringman; 09/01/17.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter