Originally Posted by Ziggy

I personally wouldn't take a shot at one running away either, I have an issue taking a shot at one looking in my direction but if we were to take a poll and everyone was being honest I bet the majority would say they have taken the shot. Big bulls make people do unethical things. And when u spook one at of the brush and he's running away from you at 100yrds you will take the shot. So a magnum will help cover those unethical moments your having. If you hunt in mountainous terrain extreme "shot angles" are the norm so a magnum will help. Big bulls require big bullets in mountainous terrain and where long shots are the norm. You will be well equipped with a magnum. To totally disagree with this statement is a lack of common Sense.

I must be in the minority then because I have never taken that shot. Ethics is a thing hunters practice when no one else is around to see them. I have been around this forum for 15+ years and have read a lot of post from a lot of guys. From those post I don't think the majority would take that shot. Of course from some of the threads from the younger generation on here, nothing is a big surprise anymore.

There is nothing wrong with putting the safety back on when a bull or cow has out smarted a hunter, which is exactly what happens if you a hunter sees the butt of the elk running away. That is common sense, not lack of it.

Elk, big or small are not hard to kill. However, having patience to wait and put the bullet in the right place to do so seems to be a task many have trouble doing so. In the realm of 400-700 yards,magnums do come into play quiet handily . At those distances putting the bullet in the right place should be an easy a task if the shooter is up to it as the elk are not normally aware of the hunter.

Years ago I did fall for the idea and carried a 7mag for 2-3 years. In my younger days,I thought it would kill and elk with any shot presentation. One long tracking job convinced me otherwise

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles