Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by tzone
I now have two .223 Rem rifles. My boy and I plan to use them for walking/still hunting guns. Both have 1:8 twist barrels. A Ruger American and a Tikka T3 Stainless.

I have several types of powder and bullets. The powders are IMR 4350 and Varget.

Bullets are Nosler PT 60gr, Barnes TTSX 62gr and 55gr.

Am I ok, or should I look for a different powder?

T, not specifically a deer load, but 28 grs of CFE-223 pushes the 55 gr TSX's to 2900 fps in my 16" barreled AR house guns, I spect they'd work fine for deer and may give upwards of 3300 fps in the longer barrel of your bolt guns.

The testing around the house tells me I'd surely not want to catch one, even at a lowly 2900, it's a mean little buzzsaw of a bullet in homemade test media, complete with a sporadic cow leg bone in with the tight packed wet newsprint and old hard glossed magazines.

Tom, Im shooting CFE223 in my Tikka...gets a LOT better velocity than Target...great accuracy.

Excellent. I'll pick some up on Friday when I can make it to the LGS. After now owning any .22 cal centerfire rifles, and now owning two...I need more! grin It's pretty nice to be able to see your target through the entire shot.

I think my big gun is going to be a .22-250. laugh

Camp is where you make it.