Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
DesertMuleDeer: I will try to give you some first hand "non-smart ass" information from MY experiences over the years (decades with some!) with the MK series of Ruger pistols and the Buck Mark line of pistols.
First of all I currently own 15 (fifteen) Ruger MK pistols in all four model variations (MK-I, MK-II, MK-III and MK-IV) most of them are heavy barrels and some are equipped with optical sighting devices - I also currently own and shoot 4 (four) Buck Mark pistols and 1 (one) Buck Mark Rifle - all of them have heavy barrels and all have optical devises for sighting.
I think, based on my experiences, that the two brands of pistols are very comparable in accuracy, trigger pull (crispness) and reliability (functioning).
They both are very handsomely designed (with the slightest of edge in my opinion going to the Ruger MK's in this regard).
I also think the Ruger MK series of pistols hold their value slightly better than the Buck Mark series of pistols - in other words you are going to realize a better return on your dollar spent for a Ruger MK pistol than a Buck Mark pistol - again this is a slight advantage.
IF... and I was there once during my lifetime, initial cost is the deciding factor in obtaining one or the other then the Buck Mark holds the slight edge here.
In fact I was dealing today on an absolutely mint Ruger MK-II pistol with 6 1/2 barrel that the price today was probably right at TWICE what that mint pistols sold for NEW!
I don't see the Buck Marks doing quite that well in retention of and/or increase in value.
I fully intend to return to that gun selling venue tomorrow and bringing that sixteenth Ruger MK pistol home with me if its still available!
The Buck Marks are fine pistols and come in an amazing variety of models, styles, finishes - the magazines are a bit more pricey for the Buck Marks than for current model Ruger MK's.
Of my squad of Varmint and small game Hunting friends who own BOTH Rugers and Buck Marks omnly ONE of them clearly prefers the Buck Marks to the Ruger MK's.
I like them both but the edge goes to the MK's for me (not so much the MK 22/45 series - esthetics here sway me on this model being slightly less desirable.)
Best of luck to you if you are considering either one!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: huntsman22 - see now that was not so hard was it!
I see no reason what so ever to burp up some of the schitt you do so often!
Sheesh.

Thank you, Varmint Guy. I have been trying to figure out why so many on this site prefer Buckmark. That is a good explanation. I have had first and second gen Woodsmans, a heavy barrel 7.25" Buckmark, have a S&W 41 and 6-7 Mark II/IIIs. Overall I prefer Mark IIIs to all others. .22 handguns are one of my favorite things.