I have a permit for a unit on the north side of the Missouri/CMR (as a few of you know) and am having a bit of internal debate on a few things. First off, deals with time for and timing of the hunt. As it stands, I will be able to take 10 days off of work for this hunt; total time will depend on how many weekends I include in that. This hunt opens the same day as deer (which I also have a tag for) and cow elk. For folks with experience in this country, is it important to be there for the opener? The guy I drew with may not be going until the second week of November due to a new baby. Last bull tag I had it was strongly suggested that one be there for the opener, is that a case for this part of Montana?

Keep in mind it's going to take me two long days to get to the unit. If I am to be there for the opener, how advisable is it to show up a few days before and scout or would you just be ready to go the first day of the hunt? I have done some e-scouting and talked to more than a couple of folks familiar with the unit so I do have some idea of where I want to be. Just not sure if I should or need to burn a few days up scouting?

I have just a touch of familiarity with the type of country having hunted deer west of this unit more than a decade ago. On that trip a small snow shower that melted the next day give me a glimpse at what the gumbo can be like... I have a UTV that I can trailer out with me. Is it worth it dragging that thing the 1300mi out for the benefit it would give? Aside from the gumbo, are the roads in this country as such that a UTV would open up options vs just a truck?

Thanks a bunch for any and all help!

Last edited by pointer; 09/12/17.