So yesterday I have to check fences after the storm rolled through to make sure no trees were down. Free range goats are not a good thing. First thing I do is test the electric fence to see how hot it is and I can tell from the weak numbers that it's grounded somewhere. I quickly ride the wooded fences and surprisingly no trees are down. So I start looking for places where the electric fence might be wrapped around barbed wire causing it to ground. My goat fencing is 6 strands of barb wire with 1 strand of electric below bottom strand of barb wire and one electric between first and second strands of barbed wire...barb wire slows them down, electric turns them around. There are a lot of weeds/grass grown up on the fence because I didn't spray it last year when I reseeded the pastures and didn't have stock on them. Sprayed it a month of so ago and everything is dead now but lots of dead grass touching the fence. I don't care to much because I'm still getting 7000+ volts on the far end...plenty to keep the goats in, as long as it isn't grounded.

Where the fence runs joins a pasture that contains a pond I run up on this guy. Looks like the fence lit him up and he decided to bite it. It looks like ~10,000 volts (where he was at), for a thoroughly grounded reptile, turned out to be more than he could handle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]