Originally Posted by DocRocket
Mike, that info COMPLETELY changes the picture!!!

Aneurysm of a coronary artery (which is what the left anterior descending or LAD is) is a totally different animal than an aortic aneurysm. Aortic aneurysms are quite common, and normally managed by monitoring with ultrasound or CT on a regular basis. When the aneurysm gets to a given size (depends on what part of the aorta we are talking about, thoracic vs abdominal) they recommend fixing it with a mesh insert, then it's good to go.

A coronary artery aneurysm is a very different animal, which is both bad and good. It can't be followed by external imaging quite as well as an aortic aneurysm can. And spontaneous rupture is far less likely. But fixing it is a much more complicated picture, as it requires an open heart procedure on bypass pump.

That's as much as I know off the cuff. I have no idea what recoil management level is dangerous for such a condition, and I suspect the cardiologists have no idea either. But the fact that the doc has authorized you to shoot a 5.56 is encouraging. I'd stick with that, preferably in an AR-15 platform, which will reduce the recoil even further, which means you can then handload heavier bullets in the 75+ gr class for hunting larger game like elk and bear. Anything smaller than that down to deer/hog size should be easily managed with a 62-65 gr load, and small game and varmints should be easily managed with 40 gr bullets.

You're a lucky man. The rest of us don't know what rifle we would pick if we could only pick one... and you, you lucky dog, have had the decision made for you! So get out there with your AR and start shootin' stuff.

And good luck with the further workup and eventual treatment of your aneurysm.

Thank you for the very helpful post!!!!!!