Sounds odd, but shooting a lot of rifles in one day seems to bring out these kind of results. I find that shooting 1 or 2 at a range session allows me to focus on those quirks, fix them, and move on.

I also keep a detailed journal that explains each firearm in detail so I remember what happened to what rifle to make it shoot. This is on top of the normal stuff you track like load data. I don't currently own a 99 that isn't at least 4 MOA. Most are much better than that. A few are way, way better than that.

The best part of owning these firearms is figuring out all the variables that allows you to maximize your rifle's fullest potential. I get a lot of satisfaction in doing just that.

I have an 1899H that has seen better days. And it initially shot like it. Though after figuring it all out, and it was a test of will, I can just about make 5 shots touch each other at 75 yards.

If you don't participate in figuring this stuff out, you are missing out on the best part of Savage collecting IMO.

RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.