I'm a history nut and back then especially American history from the F&I war until the beginning of the 20th century. I was more than a little familiar with the history of Sharps rifles in the west and always admired them. 3-4 years before Quigly came out I ordered one from Shiloh, a Long Range Express in 45-70. An idea of how things were back then; I waited 8 months and gave $830 for the rifle. At that time the most expensive rifle I had ever owned.

Fast forward 13 years and Shiloh's were as hot as a two dollar pistol.....and I had a total of 3 in the toy box. I have no idea how many pounds of lead and black powder I put through the barrel of the LRE but it was a lot. One of the guys who worked for me wanted the LRE a lot more than I did so I sold it to him at the then bargain price of $2,000. The other two were a Montana Rough Rider in 45-90 which I used exclusively for hunting the next 12 years and killed a pile of game with it. The other is a #1 Sporter in 40-2.5. It is one of the 3 most accurate rifles I have ever owned and became my match rifle. Fast forward another almost 20 years and I no longer shoot matches and as we sold the farm and moved I no longer have two 500 yard ranges out my back door so the 40 doesn't see much use. I do get both of them out a couple/few times a year and kill some steel with them at my little 100 yard range in the back yard. For hunting the 45-90 has been supplanted by a bevy of German firearms in various configurations, drillings, combination guns, double rifles, Mausers and Mannlicher/Schoenauer's and single shot rifles. Though I don't use my Sharps like I used to there's two in the safe and I have two sons they'll each get one when my time comes.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing