It' s been many years, but when I was a youngster, we planted quite a bit of sweet corn and field corn. When the sweet corn was ready and we would cut it ( by hand) and mix with alfalfa we baled before it dried and chopped both together it. I believed the chopper was a hammer mill (might be mistaken) that had enough force that it also blew the mix into a vertical silo near the barn , not a trench silo. I think we planted the sweet corn because it matured earlier.

At the same time frame because the pasture was about done by mid July, we would cut two wagon loads a day by hand to feed to about 30 dairy cows.
As the field corn started to mature,but before it dried, we would chop some of it into the silo if it wasn't completely full.

Later years, the milk inspector made us stop using the vertical silo next to the barn and we had to use trench silo that was away from the barn where the diary cows were housed.That was real pain, taking the wagon up to the trench, shoveling ensilage on it, hauling back to the barn shoveling it in a wheel barrow and hauling it into the cows. There were no front in loaders back then.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles