my daughters car - a 2001 Galant, has about 179K miles, was rode hard and put up wet by the previous owner. Picked it up for next to nothing, put some money into it and we've had it for about 3 years. It was the boys car for 2 years before she took it.

The past 6 months I've noticed that the oil light flickers on at idle after we've driven it awhile. Replaced the sending unit - they are notorious for those things acting up - didn't change anything, so I figure the oil pump is going out - which probably means the engine isn't far behind. It has a noticeable valve tick that I've ignored since we bought it.

I decided to roll the dice a bit. Bought some marvel mystery oil and put it in the crankcase, drove around the neighborhood for about 10 miles. Now the oil light no longer flickers at idle, but stays on - and it makes sense because that stuff thins out the oil. Thought maybe if there is some sludge gumming things up that will help.

So I drain it, flush it once with some cheap no name brand and then put in STP oil treatment and 10W-40 synthetic. If they had 20w-50 I would have used it. I'm looking on the shelf and I see some Royal Purple 75W gear oil. screw it, I throw in about 3 tablespoons of that as well.

Level it off, let the car heat up, drive it another 15 miles and no oil light at idle. I doubt I've completely solved the problem but hopefully I've pushed it off down the road for another 2K miles or so until she gets her license and I can sell it - with full disclosure to someone else.

( I have a little 5 speed VW for her once she gets her license)

Last edited by KFWA; 09/25/17.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings