Barred Owl story #1: KYHillChick and I went to Lake Openago for a 2 week moose watching trip at the dawn of our relationship. One night, I was showing off my woodland skills and let off a Barred Owl call about 2200. I immediately got an answer from a nearby Owl. That set off another owl and then another. Pretty soon all of Algonquin Provincial Park was lit up and then the wolves chimed in. Zowie! That was a show. My girlfriend thought I was a Nature God. Little Angus was probably conceived that night.

Barred Owl story #2: Doing a barred owl call is SOP for turkey hunters. I do one passibly, enough to get turkeys gobbling. I'm no expert. However, one day an owl lit on a branch about 20 yards from my treestand while I was bowhunting for deer, and I thought I'd pull his leg. I did my bit, and got him and his mate so fired up, that I thought they were going to fly in and attack me.

Barred Owl store #3: I worked at a frozen cheeseburger company back in the mid 90s. The new President showed up and a couple days later I got a call to come up to his office. I figured I was getting the ax, but old Norb had transferred from Michigan and wanted lessons on how to hunt around Cincinnati. On a frequent basis, I was called to his office and asked questions on deer and turkey hunting. One day, I ran into Norb as he was coming through the Sales and Marketing area. He motioned me over. We were in a mass of cubicles the size of a tennis court.

Norb:"So tell me again about owl calls."

Me: I explained again the rudiments of using a Barred Owl call to cause a shock gobble with turkeys.

Norb: "Would you demonstrate?"

Me: "Right here?"

Norb: "Yes."

Me: "Well it's kind of who-cooks-for-you-who-"

Norb: "No, I mean do the call."

Me: It's loud.

Norb: "Do it."

So I did it. Right away, 50 heads popped up out of the cubicles and managers ran out of their offices to see what was causing the fuss.

Norb: "You were right! It works!"

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer