like the idea of smearing cooking oil on one lense of the shooting glasses too!

I strongly suggest that one have both eyes functioning even if they are simply at the range. Better range estimation, 3D vision, and an expanded view. I most certainly would not do any hunting or self defense schooling with greased up lenses.

Did some research a couple years back for an article on this in IHEIA's rag. There are methods for forcing a switch in eye dominance, but in nearly every case ones system eventually reverts to it's originally wired pattern. Do ones kid a favor and start them properly. For those started wrong, muscle memory can be switched much more easily than eye dominance. It is indeed extremely rare for parents to ever give this issue consideration. They just plop the kid down the way dad does it and keep going.

I started archery with no supervision shooting left but am right eyed. When I was about 30, an astute instructor noticed and suggested I switch. Talk about awkward! Within a week though the strength and coordination came around, and my scores stepped up markedly. Could not go back now if I tried.

Once had a young lady that was shooting right but crawling over the stock to pull it off in our HunterEd class. Great way to eat a scope or get slammed in the mouth by an action when one goes to big guns. Her reason for that approach: "My cheap bastard dad won't buy me a left handed rifle."

No reason to make it tough for a kid that really wants to get out there with you. Plenty of arms out there that can go both ways. Single shots, pumps, levers, and semi autos, and muzzle loaders. For big bucks one can even get stocks made that shoulder on one side but align with the other eye. Puts stress on ones wrist too if he has to cant that joint to line up sights with heavy kicking hand guns. I'd like to think we are well past the days of nuns slapping kids with rulers for going to the left side.

Given that we have over 300+ million people in this country, there are many that do crossover shooting with patches, a closed eye, or stock crawling. My wife is one (closed eye), and pyramids can decay or animals die of old age in the time it takes her to light off a round on big game. One will rarely find them winning in competition circles though. Cross over stuff really throws one a curve in rapid fire shot gunning.

Have a good one,

Last edited by 1minute; 09/29/17.

1Minute